I said before that sewing the outer-dress was like sewing air. It was difficult and stressing me out. And I hoped that I was doing everything correctly. Turns out, I wasn’t. I accidentally sewed two pieces together that weren’t supposed to be sewn together. What? How did that happen? Well, it did and boy, was it stupid! I woke up Monday morning (after the Sunday fiasco) and realized 1) I didn’t have enough fabric to redo anything, 2) I could just trim it, but would have to trim it on the opposite side as well and would I be able to do without an inch (at least), and 3) How could I fix it without going crazy. I let it sit for a couple days before tackling it.
Today I tackled it.
I worked from home today because this afternoon I had a medical thing I had to take care of — thankfully nothing too serious, but something I had to do nonetheless. I decided after work (at noon) I would take a walk, mainly because I wasn’t supposed to have “anything by mouth” for four hours prior to the “thing.” I walked a loop in Gladstone and felt great after I got back home. I was refreshed (and still wanting to eat) and decided to fix my mistake.
If you think sewing air is hard, unsewing it is much, much worse. This fabric is so fragile and thin, and basically mesh. So even the finest thread is just about the same as the fabric. There doesn’t seem to be a bit of difference. Also, the Burda Pattern instructions said to sew it twice — the first pass is to make sure the ends of the fabric don’t unravel, the second is to actually sew a seam. The idea is to press the seam to once side. And yes. It does look decidedly finished on the right side. So, I’m feeling like, for the most part, I did it the way I should have, except for the mistake of sewing the two pieces together that didn’t go together.
At any rate, I decided to sit down and watch an episode of Downton Abbey and arm myself with a seam ripper (scary-sounding, isn’t it?). I turned on extra lights and found a clean pair of reading glasses. It was a process. Thankfully, I’ve seen said episode of Downton Abbey, so even if I was concentrating heavily on my project, I was not missing much. I started working, finding a couple loose pieces of thread and pulled them to start. It got me started and it actually took way less time than I thought it would. I was even ready to go when I finished and didn’t have to come home to a 3-inch section that was still sewed together.
It’s done. This weekend, with my palm on a small stack of bibles, I will swear to sew the right pieces together and continue my project, hopefully that being the worst thing that has happened.
On another note, I will tell you what I saw on my walk. I live in a small town, about 12,244 citizens at last count. Anyway, today, I walked a loop I’ve walked a bunch of times. There is a house with a small elevated cabinet with glass doors. In the past, I’ve seen cans of food, packages of macaroni and cheese, some dry goods like flour, etc. There is a small sign inviting people to take what they need. Today, as I got close to it, there was a couple of people near it — the man was waiting for the woman and they had a dog (of course they were good people, since they had a dog). The woman was loading stuff into the cabinet, which was full to overflowing. I had never seen it so full. There were packages of food, toothpaste and other personal goods, cooking supplies, all kinds of helpful items for people in need. It made my heart full of love for people who give and help. We need to help our neighbors and I intend to do my part. This was so inspiring, especially when there is so much bad news around. I’m not only going to do my part; I’m going to spread the word. The items in this cabinet might just be the thing someone needs to make ends meet in these difficult times.
My final note on this post is to please be kind. Kindness matters.
hours minutes seconds